Thursday, August 7, 2008

Masterpiece: the most outstanding work of a creative artist or craftsman

One of Sarah's new FAVORITE THINGS IN THE WORLD is the Fancy Nancy book series. They are truly wonderful books and she truly loves me reading them to her! They are so cute! They are written about a little girl named Nancy who is the only fancy person in her family. She struggles with trying to make everything fancy and wanting fancy things. She says "It's hard being the only fancy person in the family!" One thing about that for Sarah is that she DOES NOT have that problem! LOL (Her mommy tends to lean a teeny bit to the fancy side, too! wink...wink!) One thing that I love about the books is the words that are used. Fancy Nancy uses words like "Spectacular" and says "that's a fancy word for great" and "Masterpiece", "Merci"..."That's French for Thank You!" Sarah is getting a great love for vocabulary through these books. We talk about the meaning of the words and then I try to use them in my speech and show her in a "hands on" sort of way what they mean. Yesterday, I worked on "masterpiece". I figured the best way to show her is to let her and Jason make their own masterpieces with paint. She was so excited. We went to Hobby Lobby and picked out all of the colors of paint for her and Jason. We bought paintbrushes, canvases, etc. Then, last night, after dinner, I let them take over the dining room. I was amazed at how long it entertained them. Sarah kept saying "Look at my masterpiece!" Excactly the result I was looking for! Then, Jason wanted to finish his without me watching him so he could surprise me so I explained the rules and left the room. Well, he finished quickly and came to show me and as for me explaining the rules.....Sarah must have been too caught up in her masterpiece to notice that part! LOL When Jason went back to the dining room, he screamed! Sarah had also painted a "masterpiece" on the tabletop and on the nearby white wall! Thankfully, the table is glass, the paint is washable and so is Sarah! Imagine if kids weren't washable. Imagine if they stained like our clothes do! Whew....they would look really awful! There would be tiny and large memories all over their skin of how things went down when mom wasn't in the room. LOL Mustard, ketchup, pagetti sauce, peanut butter, jelly, popcicle drippings, koolaid, markers, paint, nail polish...you name it! Every child would truly be a walking masterpiece of life! But they are washable. And all we have to remember the times that they get truly filthy are photographs. I'm claiming both of my little munchkins as my masterpieces in life! I am spending a lot of time to make sure I get all of the colors and elements into these two works of art that I want to shine through when I'm finished. True, sometimes, the blank canvas appears through all of the painting I've done and it gets all messed up and I have to paint over it and fix it for them.........but that's what makes a masterpiece! Sometimes having to fix it and tweak it turns it into something more beautiful than you ever thought possible in the first place. Below are photos of my 2 masterpieces creating their own masterpieces. Sarah learned a new word. Jason painted me a heart instead of a car or train which shocked me and the walls did come clean! (Thanks to Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with whom I could NOT live without!) I hope you all have a great day today!~ Make it your masterpiece!









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you two know Fancy Nancy. It's been a conversation that I've only shared with my Mom (who is a teacher)on how great those books are. Kuddos on this blog. I loved it!
Regina